Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gunpowder and Dragons

Hokay. Finally got a few pics together of a couples things I've sewn recently. And finally got around to post about it here...

This is a skirt I made from McCalls 3830. I really like this pattern. Quick, simple and fits great. I did mod the pattern a bit. Added a lining, made wider and more belt loops, and made a matching belt. I didn't hem it (it actually called for a 2 and something inch hem), I used the selvage edge. It would have been too short if I used the hem the pattern called for. I like my skirts short, but this is for the fall. Which is funny since the running joke with my boyfriend is that a skirt that even comes near my knees is "Long. For you."

The fabric I got at 50% off and the zipper at 53% off (I picked up a few for future skirts). So this was a very cheap skirt. It could be considered a wearable muslin, but I don't really use them often. I have a ton of muslin ($1 off $1.59yd. 15 yds. I'm set for a few years at least) but I never use it.

I'm already planning a few more skirt from this pattern, since I have a TON of light blue twill I never used (it's quite light, so I going to have to line it) and some dark blue twill (really nice heavy stuff with a bit of stretch). I'm considering a reversible skirt out of these two. And I also bought some red and black plaid suiting for a nice long fall skirt.

The only thing I don't care for is the lack of lining. I have no problem with facings, but I really only like to use them in tops and dresses. I just prefer a lining for skirts. I think I'll put in pockets in the longer skirts. It wouldn't be too terribly hard with a lining to put in in-seam pockets. Which apparently a lot of people have trouble with. I was making in-seam pockets before I knew what they were, so I guess I'm just a freak?

Anyways, here's the skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment