Sunday, November 14, 2010

Polish Pork Buns

All I've really been able to make lately is recipes....After moving, I haven't been able to set up my sewing machine. That and I lost both my power cord and my iron for a bit. But at least I've been experimenting with cooking a bit and expanding my knowledge. I've been making bread. Mostly because I love the smell of yeast. No idea why, just do. But on to the recipe, shall we?

Polish Pork Buns

Time: 1 hour - 2 hours
Yields: About 8 small, palm size buns

Dough:
I used a recipe from Epicurean for Baked Pork Buns.

I won't copy and paste the instructions in here because of copyrights, but I'll list the ingredient and give the basics. The dough is easy. The only way to screw it up is to not properly proof the yeast and to not let the dough rise.

4 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm milk (cannot vouch for it, but you can most likely replace the milk with soy for those of us that are lactose intolerant)
1/3 cup warm water
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
salt (just a sprinkle)

To proof the yeast, warm the milk and the water in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds either in a measuring cup or a small dish. Dissolve the sugar in the warmed liquid. Check the temperature by dabbing a bit on the inside of your forearm, if it's more than pleasantly warm, let it cool a little. When it's the right temp (if it feels cold, reheat), sprinkle the yeast over the surface. Put the cup back in the microwave and let it sit for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes it should be foamy and smell yeasty. If not, either the water was too warm, too cold or the yeast was too old. Granted I've been using yeast that's been expired for almost two and a half years old and it works better than the brand new yeast I bought a few weeks ago.


Mix the flour, yeast, milk, water and salt. Stir to combine and knead until it comes together. The recipe I linked says to knead until smooth and elastic, I prefer to hold off the kneading for a softer dough. Form into a ball and place in a bowl. Put the dough in a warm place and let it rise for about an hour. I like to boil some water and put it on the bottom rack of my oven with the bowl on the top rack.


If you've never made dough before, for this recipe, as long as the yeast proofs, it'll come out reasonable good.

Filling:


About 3/4 cup sweet onion, chopped (You could probably use white or yellow, but the sweet onion paired with the polish dog is my favorite)
2 polish dogs, chopped (We bought a huge pack of polish dogs for about $5, which is why I've been using them lately)
2-3 Tbsp cream cheese (I used about 1/5 of a block of cream cheese, but you can add more if you'd like, the flavor is pretty subtle. It acts more as a binder) [Again, cannot vouch, but if you're lactose intolerant, feel free to replace with a substitute]
1-2 Tbsp Barbecue sauce (flavor is up to you. I used Jack Daniels Honey BBQ)
Salt and pepper to taste (The dough is on the sweet side and so is the filling. I suggest making the filling a touch salty, to balance it out)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a skillet, heat up some oil and toss in the onion. Cook until slightly golden. Toss in the chopped polish dogs. Cook until the onion is caramelized and sausage is browned. Add in the cream cheese and stir until fully melted. Mix in the bbq sauce. Season to taste. Remove from the heat.


Divide the dough and the filling in to eight. Roll in to balls and flatten. Pat out a ball and carefully thin it out to about a 1/4 inch. Mound a section of the filling in to the flattened dough. Stretch the dough carefully around the filling. Pinch opposite sides together, going in quarter turns. Place bun on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.

Mix one egg and a splash of milk and brush the uncooked buns with the egg wash.


Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for about 20 minutes.


I was going for a Polish-hoagie-in-a-bun. They are delicious and so very easy. I'll have to try it myself, but I'm sure you can make them and freeze them for later. It really doesn't take long to make. It would be fun for kids and great 2 person meals with left overs. It can easily be increased or decreased for single person meals or for larger families.


If someone actually reads this and has any questions, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment